History of the Company

History of the company - Loveridge and Hudson

Aaron Loveridge was a stonemason working at Buckingham Palace. After coming to Sydney he was a building contractor in Sydney from 1852 to 1882. He died age 69.
His son Thomas, became friends with Herbert Hudson at school. Their first work was building a residence at Blackheath for John Pope, a farmer. They were given this work without competition, and camped out on the the grounds while building. 
Thomas Loveridge, of Burwood, and Herbert C Hudson of Homebush worked together on the Hampton Bridge in Kangaroo Valley. 
Aaron Loveridge relinquished his company to them.
They used trachyte in the Equitable Building in 1891, and from this developed trachyte quarries in Bowral.
In 1960 Colin Hudson sold L&H to BMI, who later sold it to Boral.  Helen Hudson commented that owning the company had become very stressful and it was better for all concerned that it was sold.
However, the two cultures did not mix very well, and some of the L&H workers resented BMI management.
Andrew Hudson says that the workers from L&H went to Meloccos.

Comments

  1. As a Stone Mason, I personally believe that loveridge and Hudson were Austrailias premiere Stonemasonary company, So many of the Legends, interesting characters and Good blokes of the Masonry industry, Worked for this outstanding company, I never knew Colin Hudson lived at Strathfield and was mayor of Strathfield , I live in Strathfield, about 200 metres from the town hall, I am also a Hudson, My Grandfather was Henry Hudson, My mother was Mary Hudson, I am known as Harold McLean or
    HAROLD HUDSON, I may be a distant relative, lol
    It's a small world, Bizarre, STONEMASONRY
    Who'd have thought, It's in the BLOOD,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Harold. I have only just seen your message! I wish I'd seen it before. I am sure you're a relative, and were related to and were related to Colin and Ted! Amazing.
      I would love to contact you to hear any stories you may have, especially about the Legends, interesting characters and good blokes! As well as stories about the buildings you worked on.
      I am married to Andrew, son of Ted and grandson on Colin, so would love to hear from you!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts